Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

First Impressions

I’ve seen him numerous times, but have really not had the courage to stop and say hello. His kind…well, they’re flesh-eaters you see. It’s a tough fear me to overcome; even if he does come toward my car with a friendly wave; each time I pass by on my way up to the 4th floor; where I park my car.

I’ve not had to deal with him making it all the way up to the 4th floor; as I generally try to make a break for the elevator area…making sure the door closes behind me (and locks!). He’s slow, so it’s not much of a race. But there are those times when I’m unloading groceries, and it’ll take a little longer to get to the elevator. I get a little panicked; although I’ve only ever seen him (well, his shadow) coming up the ramp once. That’s enough, thank you. I have learned to shop more often, thereby having to get fewer bags each trip; and I’ve released the icy grip of bulk shopping at Sam’s Club for good. I’ve learned (not the hard way—yet) that if you want to beat a zombie to the elevator, you’d better not be buying your paper towels in the economy 50-rolls for 10 bucks size. Not sensible. Besides, I really don’t have that kind of space since I moved.

Well, recently, I started to give him a little more thought. Not just fear; but a try at understanding. I mean, other than the fact that they’re known man-eaters, do I have anything to fear from his smile (a little lopsided) and his well-manicured ensemble? He was clearly buried in a suit. It’s a nice tie. It’s a bit dirty, but I can overlook that. It looks like the hanky part of the combo is long gone. His wave always looks a little “off”…but those things shouldn’t keep me from being my friendly self. Should they?

I work in customer service, so generally on my way home (or when I arrive home), I’m less than thrilled to have to make small talk with ANYONE, let alone someone who might turn the conversation to the topic of food. Not a good direction; if you catch my drift. Yet I still wonder (I am pretty neurotic) if I may be hurting his feelings. I’ve heard that they DO have feelings…or remnants of feelings. This is all so confusing. Thus far, my curiosity and neuroses have yet to overpower my plain old basic survival instincts. I mean, we’ve all read about what they are capable of…seen it on the news…saw that HORRIBLE incident on live television. I will miss Keith Olbermann; a lot. Always found him kind of cute, but he took too many chances, and we know how that ended. Who seats an uncaged zombie across the desk from you? It worked on Letterman, sure, but he had several handlers on hand. Keith took the position that they weren’t animals; and well…So sad.

I work again tomorrow, so I’ll let you know if I see him again. I don’t think I’m ready to engage him yet, but I think I will try my hand at a bit of spying. Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment