Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Things Change

My Mr. and I went away for the weekend. Just a short little drive to Anaheim; and on through to Disneyland.

We've all become so complacent about the zombie outbreak...it's all old hat by now; but there are those moments when you have a ghastly realization of how much things have changed since the dead returned to life; and began feeding on us...spreading disease, death and fear.

Just as with 9/11; everyone was on board and gung ho and "let's go get 'em" right after it hit. Same thing here. Once the novelty of "survival" and looting and the idea of "the apocalypse" wore off; we were back to being cheap, inconsiderate boobs with no compassion and no concerns beyond the almighty dollar. This whole zombie thing has died down (if you'll pardon the expression) now; has become commonplace and frankly; boring. Not that we don't have cause for fear; or at least alertness.

Anyway.

We didn't make it to Disney's California Adventure; only took in Disneyland proper. The moment that struck me hard (outside of Disney's brilliant manipulations) was when we were waiting in line to enter the park. We can all recall how long and winding the lines used to be; but the new scanning and bag checking and health surveys awaiting you at the wonderful gates of Disney; are still a bit disconcerting; not to mention the barbed wire (even Disney Imagineers can't hide that completely) and armed guards (albeit in Disney costume) posted around the perimeter.

They do their best to conceal all of this rigamarole, but when an elderly man has completed his health survey and medical scan; and is then denied access (something about his bad heart), there's no denying that things have really changed. I can't necessarily complain. Who'd want to be stuck in a one of the "doom buggies" at The Haunted Mansion when that geezer kicked the bucket? "This is indeed the happiest place on earth. I love you granddaughter and now I'm going to devour you; right here in front of Madame Leota."

Well, we had a wonderful time, and I do have to give credit to the Disney people. Once you're past the barbed gates and intimidating name-tagged guards (nice gun, Louis!), they are able to make you forget how things are so different now. To them; for that...KUDOS.

You're probably wondering what became of my evening stakeout; from late last week. Let's just say that the cold I've been battling left me a bit on the tired side. Not to mention the over-the-counter drugs I've been taking to ease my pain.

Don't get me wrong. I DID make it to my "safe corner" (it was tested and it worked). But the drugs took over and left me open to attack.

For goodness sake...I fell asleep while in duty.

What finally woke me up; was the gentle buzzing of my phone. It was the Mr.; and he was calling to check on me (not very covert; I know).

It didn't dawn on me until after I had completed my brief conversation with the Mr...still a bit groggy...but...

Let's just say that I had dressed for a cold evening; and brought only my knapsack; notebook, coffee and water. I'm a light packer.

I really don't know how to reveal what happened.

Um...

There was a blanket over me.

A heavy wool blanket; almost like one of those old army blankets. Grey.

It smelled a bit; and it definitely wasn't one of my own.

There was no sign that anyone had been around me; and we saw no sign of Dennis during our departure to Anaheim and our return home.

I'll leave it at that.

For now.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment